Delhi Court Directs Government to Extradite Uzbek Woman to Face Human Trafficking Proceedings
- (India) A Delhi court has ordered an extradition of an Uzbek fugitive so that she can face trial for her crimes in a human trafficking case. She proclaims that she has been falsely implicated and is innocent.
Human Trafficking in the Mediterranean Sea is Spiraling Out of Control
- (No Dateline) An op-ed piece of how the issue of human trafficking is becoming worse all along the Mediterranean Sea. Human Traffickers have exploited the refugee crisis for their own gain in the region.
ASEAN Vows to Beef Up Measures vs Human Trafficking
- (No Dateline) The Department of Foreign Affairs on Saturday said the ASEAN Intergovernmental Commission on Human Rights is committed to play an active role in the implementation of the ASEAN Convention Against Trafficking in Persons, Especially Women and Children. ACTIP was created on March 8, 2017 when the Philippines became the sixth ASEAN member state to submit its instrument of ratification to the ASEAN Secretariat. Presently, eight member states have already ratified ACTIP, including Lao Peoples Democratic Republic, Malaysia and the Philippines.
Director of Public Security Inaugurates a Workshop on Human Trafficking at TAG-Knowledge Forum
- (Ammam, Jordan) A workshop called "Jordan's Efforts to Combat Human Trafficking" was attended by a couple generals, as well as the criminal human trafficking unit. One of the focuses in this workshop was for the public to take more of an active role and work with the government in facing this problem
London police, St. Joseph’s Health partnership aims to help human trafficking victims
- (London, England) The London Police and the Regional Sexual Assault and Domestic Violence Treatment Program at St. Joseph’s Health Care, have set up a joint program to help deal with the toll human trafficking has on its victims. The Joint effort is one of the first of its kind, and will seek to provide better care for victims.
Police Rescue Human Trafficking Victims From Bukit Mertajam Factory
- (Bukit Mertajam, Malaysia) Police rescued 3 victims of human trafficking in a factories bathroom in Malaysia, while detaining 3 suspects.
"Economic Globalization, Poverty, And Human Trafficking In Nigeria", Chioma Daisy Onyige, PhD
- (Oxford, England) Daisy Onyige a Commonwealth Research Fellow at The African Studies Centre wrote a paper on economic globalization, poverty and human trafficking in Nigeria.
El Salvador Joins UNODC's Blue Heart Campaign to End Human Trafficking
- (El Salvador) El Salvador joined the Blue Heart Campaign on November 13th, 2017, the campaign aims to mobilize governments, civil society organizations, the media, and the private sector to combat human trafficking. More than 350 people attended the launching ceremony, which included the Vice President of El Salvador Oscar Ortiz.
Russian Priest Gets Prison Term in Belarus On Pimping, Human Trafficking Charges
- (Vitsebsk, Belarus) Nikolai Kireyev, a Russian Orthodox priest, was sentenced to 5.5 years in prison on attempted pimping and human trafficking charges. He was found guilty and sentenced in the Vitsebsk Regional court in east Belarus on November 13th for attempting to traffic two Belarusian women to Russia to work as prostitutes.
Human trafficking, a big menace- Igbinedion
- (Benin City, Nigeria) Mrs. Eki Igbinedion, former First Lady of Edo State and founder of the anti-human trafficking group Idia Renaissance, expressed her confidence in the task force set up by Edo State government against human trafficking and feels that it would deter traffickers from the trade.
New laws on human trafficking and border protection
- (Sri Lanka) Chief of Prime Minister's Staff, Law and Order and Southern Development Minister Sagala Ratnayaka said that Sri Lanka is currently drafting legislation and preparing a mechanism to prevent illegal immigration and promote the border security
UN commits to help Zim fight human trafficking
- (No Dateline) The United Nations office on drugs and crime has pledged its support in fighting human trafficking in Zimbabwe. This came out at a data collection taskforce workshop held in the capital. Latest revelations are that more than 21 million people are victims of forced labour globally and in light of this the UN office on drugs and crime has pledged support to fight against human trafficking in Zimbabwe.
UN Migration Agency Warns of Trafficking, Labour Exploitation, Sexual Abuse of Rohingya Refugees
- (Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh) IOM has identified cases reported by Rohingya refugees who have lived in Bangladesh for years, by those who arrived within the past few years, and by those who have arrived since August. Some people had only been in the country for a few weeks before they were targeted. Desperate men, women and children are being recruited with false offers of paid work in various industries including fishing, small commerce, begging and, in the case of girls, domestic work.
Human trafficking keeps on increasing, victims’ families ask for help
- (Bujumbura, Burundi) More than 356 women and girls are victims of human trafficking since January 2017. Cases of people who leave families are observed in Bujumbura popular neighborhoods. Some women decide to abandon their families to go to the Gulf Countries.
Give displaced Rohingya jobs to prevent human trafficking, companies told
- (London, England) Businesses could cut the risk of human trafficking and exploitation of hundreds of thousands of Rohingya in Bangladesh who have fled violence in Myanmar by giving them decent job opportunities, experts said on Wednesday.
15 suspected human trafficking victims rescued
- (Polokwane, South Africa) Fifteen suspected trafficking victims, aged between 16 and 30, have been rescued, with three arrests made, the Hawks said on Wednesday. Three suspects in their early thirties, also believed to be from Ethiopia, were found in the house. Maluleke said the rescued group was taken to a place of safety while their investigation continued.
80 Human Trafficking Cells Dismantled, 50,000 Illegal Immigration Attempts Foiled in 2017 (Official)
- (Rabat, Morocco) Morocco adopts a global approach to migration that includes, in addition to the human dimension, a security approach that enabled the Kingdom to dismantle 80 human trafficking cells and foil 50,000 illegal immigration attempts in 2017, Khalid Zerouali, Director of Migration and Border Surveillance at the Ministry of the Interior, said Tuesday in Rabat.
CCAP Evangelist gets 10 years IHL for human trafficking
- (Tanzania) The Chitipa First Grade Magistrate was convicted and sentenced a CCAP Evangelist, Rueben Mwachitete to 10 years Imprisonment with Hard Labour for trafficking in persons. Mwachitete who is based at Isongole, Ileje in Tanzania is said to have trafficked three girls in Chitipa district where he recruited them to work in restaurants in Tanzania early this month.
Diaspora group calls for tougher punishment for human traffickers in Nigeria
- (Nigeria) Reacting to the death of 26 Nigerian women who drowned in the Mediterranean on 5 November, the Migration Enlightenment Project Nigeria (MEPN) has called for tougher laws against human trafficking to bring “the needless deaths to an end”.
Two people charged with alleged human trafficking
- (Elgin, UK) Two people have been charged in connection with alleged human trafficking offences.
Called to action to end human trafficking and forced labour
- (UK) British Ambassador to Ethiopia Susanna Moorehead convened a roundtable of policymakers and experts to discuss how we can work together in responding to the tragedy of modern day slavery. This week’s roundtable discussed how countries can work together to make this powerful aim a reality
Malaysia Aviation Group Pledges to Fight Human and Wildlife Trafficking
- (Malaysia) Malaysia Aviation Group (MAG) today declared zero-tolerance for human and wildlife trafficking at the launch of its anti-human and anti-wildlife trafficking campaign.
Quebec Man, Teen Girl Face Human Trafficking Charges in Ottowa
- (Ottawa, Canada) A teenage girl and a man from Gatineau, Quebec are both facing several charges of human trafficking. The charges are trafficking persons under 18 by exercising control, financial benefit from a person under 18, and advertising another person’s sexual services.
Southeast Asia: Investigators Plan Joint Responses to Tackle Human Trafficking and Migrant Smuggling
- (Bangkok, Thailand) Law enforcement officers in Bangkok met to determine how to handle cases of trafficking under the leadership of United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC). The UNODC law enforcement experts shared technical information and investigation methods on how to pursue arrest warrants through diplomacy and collaboration among countries in the region.
Rwanda tightens law on human traffickers
- (Rwanda) A draft Bill before parliament proposes the heavy punishment for traffickers of more than one person, repeat offenders and those trafficking vulnerable people like children and pregnant women. Rwanda has proposed life imprisonment for human traffickers in new measures intended to lead the way in suppressing the growing multi-billion dollar criminal cartels.
Human trafficking ‘rife’ in Rohingya camps: aid agencies
- (Bangladesh, Thailand) Women and children make up the majority of the more than 600,000 Rohingya Muslims who have fled violence in Myanmar for neighboring Bangladesh, many escaping with only the clothes on their back and desperate to survive any way they can. More than 20,000 Rohingya have been turned back but aid workers say that unless the refugees are taught about the dangers of trafficking, they will keep trying to leave the camps in search of a better life.
Teen rescued from Rustenburg brothel, NW municipality clamps down on human trafficking
- (South Africa) A 17-year-old girl was rescued on Friday, in a suspected brothel in Rustenburg in the North West. Five houses were torched in East End last week after a 14-year-old girl went missing on her way home from school. Residents torched the houses rented by foreign nationals, suspecting that the girl was kidnapped and forced into prostitution in brothels the foreign national operate in the rented houses.