Dr. Richard Lapchick, Director
Human Trafficking: International, November 2016
The Institute for
Diversity and Ethics in Sport
Man Arrested In Dublin Over Human Trafficking
- (Dublin, Ireland) A 38-year-old man has been arrested on charges of human trafficking. This arrest stems from an ongoing investigation dealing with the transportation of immigrants into Ireland for sexual slavery purposes.
Czech Human-Trafficking Gang Members Sentenced To Jail In Britain
- (London, UK) 5 Czech nationals were sentenced by a British Court on Oct. 24. These 5 gang members were found guilty of human trafficking and slavery offenses, which trafficked people from eastern Europe to Britain and forced them to live in inhumane conditions while working to pay off fictional debts.
New Approaches Required To Prevent Trafficking Among Conflict-Induced Migrants – UN Human Rights Expert
- (United Nations) According to an independent United Nations human rights expert, governments need to adopt new approaches to human trafficking in light of conflict-induced migration, which increasing around the world and putting more people at risk of such trafficking.
Five Men Accused Of Nearly 40 Offences Including Raping Teenage Girls And Human Trafficking
- (Warwick, UK) Five suspects were accused of nearly 40 offenses including raping teenage girls, sexual assault, and human trafficking. The charges against the group relate to six victims who reported the offenses in April this year.
Man Who Sued Ottawa Police Over Racial Profiling Faces Human Trafficking Charges
- (Ottawa, Canada) A man who successfully sued the Ottawa police force after a judge ruled he had been racially profiled is back before the court, accused of pimping and beating his teenaged girlfriend.
A Brighter Future for Human Trafficking Survivors
- (Manila, Philippines) A Philippines outsourcing company, DataMotivate, has joined the Business Call to Action (BCtA) and provided skills training and full-time jobs to 500 survivors of human trafficking and slavery through an inclusive impact-sourcing model.
Rome: International Assembly on Human Trafficking
- (Rome, Italy) The Europe Networking Against Trafficking and Exploitation (RENATE) planned to hold their assembly in Rome from 6-12th November, which focused on discussing, discerning, reflecting and sharing best practice on efforts to eliminate human trafficking and exploitation.
Delhi High Court Asks Government To Mull Framing Law On Human Trafficking
- (New Delhi, India) Delhi High Court has asked the Central government to check for the feasibility of creating a law to check illegal human trafficking for jobs abroad. The court which was hearing a public interest litigation(PIL)disposed it off by directing the Shipping Ministry and the External Affairs Ministry to take an appropriate decision in accordance with law.
Bosnia Arrests International Human Trafficking Suspects
- (Sarajevo, Bosnia) A coordinated police operation that took place simultaneously in four countries, detained several people. The operation aimed to investigate organized crime, human trafficking, money laundering and prostitution. Arrests were made in Saravejo and Serbia also detained three people.